View Single Post
Old 04-28-2014, 07:00 AM
ShirlinAZ

Default History of Redwork

I'd like to express a little difference of opinion with today's Article. Regarding Redwork, the article says that red was used, then blue was used, and " Today there really are no rules as far as color choice only that you use the same color for the entire project." Who has made this rule and why? I was taught to embroider by my mother who was born in 1918, and my grandmother who was born in 1892. They taught me to do all my redwork style embroidery in multi-colors, which was also the way other old women in our town embroidered. What is now called Redwork was a style of embroidery to us. Roses were normally done in red, pink, or yellow; leaves and stems were always 1 or more shades of green; violets could be blue or purple; etc. My hometown was settled in 1877 and, though small, had heritage from different areas of the U.S. and Europe. Maybe this style of embroidery was spread among their little group, but my husband's grandmother who had never met anyone from my hometown also handed down embroidered pieces done this way. I have to believe that at some point the style was to embroider in several colors. Not trying to start an argument or hurt any feelings, these are just my thoughts on the subject. What are yours?