View Single Post
Old 04-28-2014, 10:02 AM
Julie R

Originally Posted by maminstl View Post
We drove up on Thursday morning, spent all afternoon at the show, went back Friday and finally felt like we had seen it all a little after lunchtime. It is crowded, but not terrible. Spent the afternoon having a late lunch and going through the shops in town. The quilts are wonderful - an art form that we can really understand and appreciate. - It's always fun to see what the vendors have. Didn't see anything new, but I just love to watch Deb Tucker demo her rulers, so bought some of those. I generally am not interested in fabric at the show - no bargains to be had there, but love to see all the booths and the "real" quilts (meaning those that I could actually make) hanging in them. We also went down to the rotary club show - there is a woman in there with her indian batiks that I just love, so always like to get a few things from her. What I don't get is all the noise about Hancock's. I went in there last year and didn't think I would bother to go back - but I travelled with a friend this year, so we went. I just do not like that store - probably the way it is organized, and the way that all the sale stuff is just interspersed with everything else. The "back room" had batiks that I don't care too much about - but nothing else really of interest. I am going to skip it next year. On Saturday morning we went to the Museum, which is fantastic, and then back home. I am definitely going to make hotel arrangements as soon as I can for next year to hopefully get something in town. I'm lucky to live just 3 hours away, so an easy trip.
I completely agree with you about Hancock's. The flat folds in the back room (that are supposed to be such a great deal) were $5.99/yard. Now I realize that when fabrics are running$11.00 a yard, that is a deal, but it wasn't anything I would want for personal use. I found much better deals and better fabrics at Murray's (which was across from the National Quilt Museum).

I did find some fabrics I absolutely loved at the Shabby Fabrics booth in the bubble. While it wasn't a deal, I just had to have them (sometimes they call your name like that).

In general, loved the show - so many beautiful quilts!