Old 04-29-2014, 09:22 PM
mirabelle

Wow what a great question for all of us to share QuiltE

Well I was raised by my Grandmother and she tried (in vain) to teach me to sew, in the end I was not allowed to touch her treadle machine for fear of breaking it I would dearly love to have that machine today. But she did teach me how to knit and crochet and embroidery, even though I was left handed and she was right handed. I tried to make my childrens clothes when they were small but was not very successful. Then DH and I moved to the Northern Territory and there was not much to do in that small town. But there was a sewing shop and she had classes on stretch sewing so I took some classes and made my kids t-shirts and tracksuits.
Then I heard of a patchwork class with the local craft group and signed up out of sheer boredom, I had a sewing machine (hadn't learnt how to use it properly in 10 years but that was ok) My first quilt was a Biscuit quilt and I worked on it every Sunday afternoon, my kids would stuff the pockets for me as I sewed.
Then I bought a patchwork book, Log Cabin in a Day by Eleanor Burns, took me 6 weeks to make that quilt for my son. and as they say in the classics I WAS HOOKED.
I went on to become Secretary/Treasurer of the Craft group and we would pay for tutors to visit our town and teach classes, so over the years I have learnt, EggArtistry, Silk Dyeing, Bobbin Lace Work, Decoupage but always came back to patchwork. It's a long story but we had our own Craft Room, rent and electricity free, some Government funding to help run it, and when I left we had over 60 members
In 1989 we had a visiting tutor by the name of Pauline Rogers come to town and that is when my downhill slide into addiction really took place. Pauline came to Tennant Creek every year for the next 5 years and taught us so much. Starting with basic patchwork, applique, making jackets and vests, stained glass and lots more. In 1991 my DD wanted to come with me to class and I said she was too young (she was only 8) but Pauline said "let her come" and by the end of that weekend my DD had learnt how to draw up templates, use a rotary cutter, cut out her patches and had made a set of cushions. (our home almost became over run with cushions) From that weekend we have always sewn together, sharing my sewing machine until she was 10 when she got her own machine for her birthday, no more arguments on whose turn it was

Pauline is still touring and teaching around Australia and New Zealand and DD and I catch up with her whenever she is in the area. She remains a very close friend to both of us..

I am still addicted unfortunately there is no health program for me to attend and I wouldn't go anyway. I love spending my days in my sewing room playing with fabric.

Now back to sewing the binding on Spike