Old 04-30-2014, 06:01 AM
deranged_damsel

ahhhhh you ladies are amazing!!!

I have missed you all

I also started stitching at 8. Mom started me on crosstitch and embroidery. my mother dabbled a little in this or that, so she had some materials laying about that I would get into and "borrow" from her when she wasnt looking. when I learned to sew by hand, Mom cut up old clothes and tossed them into the rag bin, I was allowed to take pieces and make doll clothes from. a great learning curve to sew dimensional!
My first "QUILT" I copied from a picture in a book, knowing nothing about seam allowances, my half squares turned out smaller than my squares... but I sewed them together anyways and made a wonderful little chair seat cushion... Mom got after me for cutting up my skirt to make it! but she was never mad for too long
I altered my clothes my entire teenage years, too tall for anything to fit... I cut up ALOT of clothes! FINALLY mom let me use her sewing machine, she figured out she couldnt really stop the determination... so she resigned to it. Also she dug out her grandmas fabrics.... we together cut squares... and sewed nine patchs... she taught me to hand quilt with thread instead of tying and we did three king size quilts!
when I was first married... I was stretching my skills making a storm at sea, for Dhdd... and crying because I couldnt open and close my hand anymore from cutting pieces with scissors... DH finally took me down to the quilt shop and bought me a mat, cutter and ruler... and you know.... there is just something sooooo addicting about the rotary cutter... ahhhhh maybe its the sound it makes..... hmmmmm... and the HUM of the sewing machine..... I have been addicted ever since! I sew everyday if I get the chance
I have been sewing baby toys, bears, blankies, clothes, quilts, and gifting them away since I was a teen! my favorites ALWAYS a baby gift

ah what a nice subject! thanks ladies! I will try to drop in soon... helping sis move into her new apt this weekend. hopefully find some me time soon to come say HI
Have a good one!