View Single Post
Old 04-30-2014, 08:30 AM
ArchaicArcane

Originally Posted by TeresaA View Post
You may also have a problem with your thread path...make sure the thread isn't getting tangled along the way. Also, are you using a cone holder? Cross-wound thread needs to be upright on whatever holder you're using.
The only clarification I would make is that cross wound thread needs to come off the top of the spool. The spool doesn't have to be upright. Most machines with a horizontal pin are already set up to properly manage cross wound thread. Those of us with a vertical pin only need to use a cone holder, or a tea cup, or depending on the size of the spool, I've been known to use the spool pin on the bed of a vintage machine if there is one and route the thread around the top spool pin.

I've been able to FMQ with almost any thread I've tried - including old old thread from bobbins found in the drawers of machines I've bought, provided it's not rotten - using a size 14 Topstitch needle. King Tut is a little thick for this, so I would go a size up there to a 16 for FMQ anyway.

Lower your presser foot pressure, lower your tension (if you usually sew at about a 4 - 5, try a 3 and see what it looks like from there), leave your dogs up but set to "0".

The other thing about lint: Most of the lint I find in the hook area is from the sandwich, not the thread. 2 ways to tell this:
1. Practice getting to know the sound of your machine by stitching FMQ without the thread (remove the bobbin too but leave the bobbin case in place ) - there will be some lint, despite the fact that there's no thread in the machine.
2. The color of the thread is different from the color of the lint. Try some turquoise cotton for instance. I bet the lint is tinted turquoise, but more muted and tending toward beige or white instead