Old 05-01-2014, 06:13 AM
QuiltE
Power Poster

GGal ... THANK YOU! so much!!!!!!!!!! And a lovely block it is. Canada's 150th is in 2017 and inspired by Muv's Diamond Jubilee quilt, I have been thinking about doing something special. So this might be a starter for me. Now, if only Barbara Brackman would come along and design blocks for each of our provinces! (or someone!)

The Underground Railway story is well known here too, with several historic locations recognized. I have visited a couple. A friend of mine lives in one of those communities, and their quilt group did Underground Railway quilts this winter, combining it as a BOM and monthly historical research reports of the real UR story. They had their showing of them last night!! It would have been nice to see how each interpreted theirs with different fabrics and patterns. My friend did hers all in batiks with a black background ... and miniaturized the blocks for a wall hanging. Chances are many of them will make it to the Fair this year ... so I will see them then.

So many good stories about our sewing and quilting journeys.
And so many common links between all of us as to how we learned.
What talented people we have in this group ... so many amazing women!

However, I think DDamsel takes the cake ... with cutting up her skirt when making one of her first projects! Are your kids getting the bug? (PS ... glad that you dropped by today to share your story ... miss you!!)

Yes, I too have a couple of Eleanor Burns books. While my first quilt was not an Eleanor Burns pattern it was taught in a QIAD course, where many used her patterns. We chose the fabrics, took them to wash and press, returning them to the LQS to cut them. When we arrived on The Day ... everything was cut and ready. They were smart to do that as it sure took away a lot of the work and helped get us all hooked! Neither do I have that quilt nor a photo ... sure wish I did! Though my 2nd and 3rd quilts were Eleanor's Log Cabins!

MiraB ... oh my look at all those cuddly teddies! Looks like the jointed ones. I was on that curve for awhile in the 80s, but no, I don't have a photo or bear left!