Old 05-02-2014, 11:42 AM
miriam
Power Poster

Well my little helpers showed up today. We didn't have a lot of time so we quickly & roughly assessed. We figured out most of the ones in the garage are Singers. There are 2 that say Brother - Wilbur thought that was really funny for some reason. Then there was a Countess a couple Kenmores and a Domestic. We also figured out that many of them have parts missing - no cords or foot controls with any of them - just a tangled up mess in a box - cords are not a high priority if you are Amish I'm guessing... I still haven't really looked close - it's been cold and we have been busy with a move. They had a good laugh at the ones that look burned out or something. Then we went in & looked at the older machines that may or may not be fixable. They seem to favor them. They got a real kick out of the top tensions. I will need to spend some time with them on those - they were intrigued. I have been working on a 27 off and on so we made one sew - it was one I had that needed parts. We talked some about taking parts from one machine and putting it on another. We looked at that frozen up old Singer 15. Wilbur thinks grandma can make any of them work - I'm not sure he will understand until we take one machine at a time and look it over. Then we looked at the Singer 99 with the broken needle bar. We talked about trading one out of a different machine to that machine. The Singer redeye machines were kind of ho hum - they have seen them before. Someone suggest making one of them into some kind of planter - I'm thinking about that. I mentioned it to Lovie and she suggested hens and chicks. I think if we pull out the guts it would work a little better....