Old 05-02-2014, 06:47 PM
oksewglad
Power Poster

Oh dear friends--I love all the stories you have been telling. I am amazed at all the professional seamstresses in the group, those who were influenced by 4-H or older family members, and how much other crafts have influenced us. I used to knit, crochet, cross stitch, etc, but once I fell in love with quilting I have abandoned those crafts. I do have a EB quilt cut ready to piece--her UGRRoad quilt. Although I don't subscribe to her therory--check with BBrackman on historical clarification--I figure it is a way for me to commemorate the rumor that the old house was a UGRR station. I loved the teddy bears, mirabelle...soft sculpture never an acquired skill for me. The 2 "wild" quilts are great, but really like the checkerboard strip in the scrap quilt. What fun to see how your quilting has grown Carrie.

Thanks for sharing the pictures.Thanks QE for getting us started on our reminiscing.

It's taking me a bit to get caught up. It's been a busy week with work and family matters--have had short nights due to both... I'd rather not say why, but I really need a group...not because of what's happening to me, but what is happening with an extended family member. Thanks.

My earliest memory of anyone sewing is of my dear Swedish GF, white head bent over his treadle sewing machine stitching away in the basement of their retirement house in town. His father was a tailor and GF had apprenticed to be one, too, but he didn't like being inside so began an apprenticeship working with horses in an stage coach inn--this was end of the last century mind you. Later he and his brother emigrated to USA in search of a better life as western Sweden was dividing land parcels into ever smaller sizes limiting opportunities.
Being #3 daughter I was influenced by a mother and 2 sisters who sewed clothing and as a 9yo began 4-H. My first project--an apron. Although didn't sew consistently through my teen years, I took Home Ec and chose to make a wool coat my Sr. year. I started sewing for our #1 DD when she was about a year old. KWIK SEW patterns and knit fabrics were coming onto the market and I started sewing t-shirts, shorts etc for our growing family. By the time the 3rd child came along I purchased a Viking sewing machine with an overlock stitch and wow I could whip up shirts from just a bit of fabric in no time--often making shirts with one color sleeves and differing front and back. I even made my boys their briefs and later boxers. My kids were on the thin side and I couldn't find jeans to fit them--even the "slim" sizes weren't slim enough. KWIK SEW to the rescure with a great western jean pattern in a slim version--sized from a slim 4 to a 12. I can't tell you how many jeans I sewed--I'd reuse zippers from DH's worn jeans to save money. By the time DD was in 6th grade I had had jean making down to an art...even her BF was wondering what store she got her jeans from. I continued to sew for her and myself throughout high school and college--spoiling her because of the lined jackets that fit her. To this day she looks for quality construction in her clothes. Now sadly, it's much cheaper to buy than to make and sew special garments and PJ's for the grands. I am far from a "professional"
Now quilting--just before #1DS was born I made him a flannel double 4P quilt from old and new pieces of fabric--I think smallest squares were 2" cut--which I tied with yarn and used parts of an old blanket for filler. He wore it out.. Meanwhile DD moved into a big bed and I made a brick patterned quilt for her with red and yellow ginghams and calicos to coordinate with Holly Hobby curtains for her room. Again I tied it with a blanket for filler. Her DD has the quilt now.
Shortly afterwards I made a denim quilt for my cousin who lived with us (we were 26 at the time) his jr year in HS. He still has the quilt 35 years later. Between #3 and #4 child I began sewing machine applique items and selling them at craft shows etc. When I quit that gig I had left over fabric inventory so started piecing quilts in the early 90's for use at home. Gradually I added more fabric to my stash and well the rest is history. I've hand quilted one large quilt--long stitches and not very neat. The first machine quilted quilt I sewed 1/4" away from the pieces in the house blocks. And suffice it to say I've come along way since then!!

Will share my April progress or should I say lack of later.