View Single Post
Old 05-03-2014, 03:55 AM
citruscountyquilter

Originally Posted by slbram17 View Post
How would she stabilize the piano keys? I would like to know for future reference too.
Serita
The way I would stabilize the piano keys would be to measure the middle of the quilt top (going across if I'm stabilizing the top/bottom of the quilt) and use that measurement for my bottom and top border. If you are really fussy you can also take additional measurements at the 1/4 points across and then average the three measurements and use that measurement for your top/bottom border. Then I would mark this border off at either the 1/4 or 1/8 points depending on the length. I would then do the same for the quilt and match the marks and ease in either the border or the quilt to fit and then sew it in place. You now should have a quilt that hangs nicely with no waves and the many seams of the piano keys are held in place by the border. When you use a pieced edge of a quilt as the final edge where you put on the binding it is very easy to get distortion and stretching when you put on your binding. If you have a border strip that is true this takes care of it when you put on your binding.