Old 05-04-2014, 06:53 AM
miriam
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Fuzzykittenbutt
I just wanted to share some news. In another thread I mentioned acquiring an old Singer a couple of months ago and since then I haven't been able to do anything with her. I'm studying for my Master's oral examination here in Germany at the moment, so I haven't had much time to look at her yet. But one thread talked about the first most basic step: figuring out what machine I've got and how old she is....soo, I looked her up:

She's a Singer Model 15, Serial Number: B1347528 which means she left the factory floor on Sept. 5, 1905. She needs a bit of work, but not too much, I suppose. Two round plates are missing on her backside (she's blushing a bit, because of it ;-) ). Her treadle and table top and cover are in great condition. No wood worm damage anywhere to be found. I promise to post pictures of her after my exam on Tuesday...but I was just so excited to find out how old she was, that I had to share the news here in advance!
I have a 1902 Singer 15 and I just love it - mine has the heavier balance wheel. It turns very freely and will go through about anything. Mine was buried in dried up oil - it was a lot of work to get it cleaned up. You could start by oiling it and see if leaving it a couple days helps.