View Single Post
Old 05-05-2014, 05:20 AM
Sewnoma

I like it! I made a very bright and (I suppose) "childish" quilt for my DH's 80-something grandmother and she loves it! It has kitty-cat print fabric everywhere, several prints of which I got out of the kid's section at the store. I gave it to her 2 years ago and she still sends me messages about how much she loves it. *warm fuzzies*

Originally Posted by Tothill View Post
I also have cats who share the bed with me and all bedding is washed weekly. I do not think a quilt can take that degree of washing.
Sure it can! I have 3 dogs and 2 cats who live on the couch with 2 of my lap quilts - the quilts get washed constantly (weekly, at least) and are still in great shape. I deliberately wash them regularly, as a stress-test for all of my quilts. Granted they're only a couple years old so far, but they both still look new when they come out of the dryer. Both have a lot of purple and black - their colors are still bright and deep (wooo, Kona!), seams are all intact, batting is still flat. One of the dogs likes to claw at the quilts to arrange them into a more comfy sleeping nest (which I yell at him for when I see it happen, but I know it happens when I'm not around) and still no damage to be found. Amazing. One of the quilts is even a bargello and not one single seam has popped. I actually expected to be doing repair work on these by now but so far...not a single extra stitch has been needed.