Old 05-05-2014, 10:29 PM
jitkaau

Originally Posted by DonnaC View Post
I attempted to make a custard recipe yesterday from the South Beach cookbook (I'm trying to go low-carb with little success ...LOL). The custards came out terrible! They are watery and awful and taste basically like brown water... very unappetizing. I'm thinking that I did something wrong? I followed the recipe below. If anybody has an idea as to what might have happened to my poor dessert, please let me know!

Chilled Coffee Custard

1.5 cups 1% milk
2 eggs, beaten
3 TB sugar substitute
2 tsp instant coffee
2 tsp vanilla

In medium bowl, whisk together the milk, eggs, sugar sub, coffee, and vanilla until well-blended. Pour into four six-ounce custard cups and place in a 10" skillet. Fill skillet with water to 1/2" from tops of the custard cups. Bring water to a boil over high heat. Reduce heat to low, cover, and simmer 10 minutes. Remove cups from skillet, cover with plastic wrap touching the surface of the custard, and refrigerate for 3 hours.
Egg custards are difficult to make if you heat them too quickly or too highly. Try putting the ingredients into a double boiler - i.e. into a saucepan that has a saucepan of hot water underneath, and you may have more success. Be careful or you could end up with scrambled eggs! All the best!