Thread: Very Old Quilts
View Single Post
Old 12-22-2009, 06:14 AM
mommabogue

Originally Posted by The Bag Lady
I have a very old quilt that has been in the family. It smells very musty ----any suggestions on how to clean it to remove the odor. Thanks The Bag Lady
depending on the condition its in.... you can run warm water in bathtub and there's a 'wool lite' soap you can buy-let that 'filter' in the water while its running, then lay the quilt in the tub and let it 'sit' in the water and push on the quilt once every 20 min. or so up to 2 to 3 hrs. Drain, run fresh warm water over the quilt, dip process again then let drain, push on quilt to get rid of excess water or squeeze to get rid of excess and drape over a clothes line out side or other means of drying if the quilt is 'up to it' (again all this depends on the age/condition of the quilt. I also have another way of "freshening' fabrics... not sure it will work with 'older, delicate items'. I put the meltaway candles (small circles of candles that you put in a melting pot) in what scent you prefer, in a baggie, leave the baggie open but lay it inside a drawer or wherever you store the item and close the drawer for a while, rotating the places you put the baggie from time to time. good luck, mildew odor isnt an easy thing to deminish in an old quilt and keep the quilt safe at the same time. You might want to also try some vinegar or fresh diluted lemon juice in your rinse water when tub bathing the quilt.
hope this helps!