Thread: Pattern testing
View Single Post
Old 05-07-2014, 04:38 AM
PaperPrincess
Power Poster

Originally Posted by ckcowl View Post
I've been testing patterns for a magazine for some time now- the way it works for them is- I sign up/agree to test a particular pattern (they show a picture of the quilt on a tester needed page) they send me the pattern, a test report sheet and a 'must be completed by' date. I purchase fabrics (generally as close to the same colors as the pattern designer used) and follow the instructions completely to create the quilt- if I find there is a problem that causes me to not be able to continue as written I contact them right away for instructions on how to proceed- if there are any math problems, illustration problems, unclear written instruction or errors I write them down on the test sheet. when the quilt top is finished I send in my test sheet and a couple pictures of the quilt top. gives them the opportunity to correct any problems- re-write, adjust what ever. then when I get the quilt quilted & bound I send in additional pictures that are then published in the magazine. the rules are- we are not to share the pattern, show pictures of the quilt, or show anyone the quilt until it has been published- then we are allowed to sell up to 5 of them if we want and can share them on line or where ever.
So I'm assuming that for a full pattern test, all the way thru to quilted & bound, you are compensated for your time & materials.

There is a quilt pattern testers Yahoo group. Might be worthwhile to join. Also if you google 'quilt pattern testers' there are several blogs specific to this topic. One issue that may be covered is copyright of your design before publication.