Thread: Mailing a quilt
View Single Post
Old 05-07-2014, 06:30 AM
ManiacQuilter2
Power Poster

Originally Posted by cathyvv View Post
Your friend suffered the biggest failure of any reasonably good system - the human failure. Delivery person dropped the package at the wrong house. Unfortunately, it happens.

When I mail a quilt, I use the USPS, and insure them for the cost of materials - usually about $100 when you add in fabric, batting, thread and backing. So far, all of the quilts I've mailed have reached their intended recipient.

There are several things that I do to help insure that a package gets to it's intended destination:

1) Write the "TO: address " large on the box label. The easier it is to read, the more likely that it will be delivered to the right person. I always tape over it with clear tape so that rain or snow can't wash it away.

2) Tape another label in a very visible spot inside the box. That way, if the box comes open or the label falls off, there's a second chance - and it's only a chance - that the package will be delivered correctly.

3) Tape every potential weak point of the package liberally. My theory is that the more work it takes to get into the box, the less likely that it will be broken into. It is just a theory and there is no scientific evidence whatsoever to prove it, but I put absolute faith in the theory!
I ship using PayPal because the rates are commercial which will save you some money. The label is printed with a tracking number. YES, a good idea to enclose shipping information attached to the quilt. My best friend mailed a quilt in a priority envelope and all that arrived at the destination was the shipping label. I always use a glue stick so the label can NOT come off. Use a high quality packing tape so that even if the package should be compromised, the important things will still be attached.