Old 05-08-2014, 03:56 PM
PlanoDebbie

Originally Posted by TeresaA View Post
Regarding the tension, maybe give us a few details of what makes you want to throw it off the roof.

Also tell us:
What thread
What needle.
What have you tried to fix it.
Did it ever work the way you wanted it to?
I wish you lived closer to Washington. I'd offer to come help you with the tension part -- at no charge. I could do the rest, but won't because then if anything goes wrong it's MY fault ;-). I am very technical and it's really helped with troubleshooting sewing problems as well.

Sometimes using the right needle changes EVERYTHING "tension"-wise.

Sewing machines, whether they're quilters, domestics etc are all basically similar. Any sewing machine repair worth its salt can adjust them. Try calling your local sewing shop.
Needle used: 134 SAN 11 (18/4.0), also tried 19/4.5
Thread: Omni, Rainbow and Glide

I've had great luck one minute, then horrible results the next. I think my biggest issue is that I don't know exactly what I need to do for regular maintenance and adjustments. The manufacturer owner's manual that I received was a 19 page pdf printout with black/white pictures. I feel like I need to have a Master's Degree in Mechanical Engineering to use my longarm. I can drive my car without needing to know how to rebuild a carburetor, but I feel absolutely inept with my longarm when it's not stitching the way I would like it to stitch.

I know I could drag my machine in to a shop for a cleaning, but that wouldn't tell me if my frame is properly set up, square, level or anything else. I also know that I could sign up to take a longarm class somewhere, but I really need to learn how MY machine works in MY house. Hopefully that makes sense. When I bring my regular machine in to be cleaned, it doesn't matter if I set it up on my kitchen table or dining room table. It will work the same. I've been sewing for about 45 years and never expected to have so much difficulty understanding my longarm after 2 years.