View Single Post
Old 12-22-2009, 09:05 AM
canuckninepatch

Originally Posted by lady.quilter
So I spent about an hour with the Janome today. Loved the features, but still having issues with the quilting. No more feathering since I used the single stitch throat plate, but the top threads show up on the bottom of the quilt. Still not happy with that. Sales ladies said it was just a matter of finding the right tension, even though we played with it a long time and never found one just right. She also mentioned a bobbin box that has a separate bobbin tension you can set and then just pop that in when you want to FMQ so it always has the correct tension... But seemed like I was having to get these 2 accessories (bobbin box & throat plate) just to get the result that might be what I wanted. Anybody else had this issue?

Will spend about an hour with the Viking tomorrow, the dealership is closed on Sundays....

Thanks for the help so far!
I just bought a Janome 6600, and a Janome rep. did a demonstration of the bobbin case that has a pre-programmed tension just for FMQ, and the FMQ foot that goes with it. I purchased them both, as I got 15% off at that demo (they weren't that expensive), and am very pleased with the stippling that I can do with them. It makes sense to me, that I don't have to do a lot of fooling around to get the right tension - it's pre-programmed, ready to go. So far I love my machine!!! My previous machine that I have had for 9 years is also a Janome, and I've loved it (4800), but I wanted all the latest features. Good luck in your decision.....