Thread: EQ7 - should I?
View Single Post
Old 05-09-2014, 12:00 PM
dunster
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Sewnoma View Post
I actually have a theory that folks who use computers and software a lot have a harder time with EQ7 than someone who is more of a novice. It's not intuitively built like most software is and doesn't do what you might expect it to do, or at least not in the way you'd expect it to do it. I'm a programmer and I have found the learning curve to be pretty steep! There are still a lot of things I revert back to graph paper for because I can't figure it out in EQ7, BUT I love having the software and some day I'll really knuckle down and figure out how to do those things. There are a lot of tutorials for it that I haven't had any trouble following.
Interesting observation. I am a retired software engineer (it seems many of us have been attracted to quilting) and for years I claimed that I was a software developer, not a software user, because I didn't like spending the time to learn to use a system designed by someone else. Eventually I had to give up on writing my own applications for everything. I agree that EQ7 doesn't follow today's standard Windows interface, but once I started using it I didn't find it particularly difficult. I started with EQ6, but then I bought the DJ software, which is based on EQ5, and I found that the interface was drastically changed and improved with EQ6. I think many people who complain about the user interface are still using 5.