Thread: EQ7 - should I?
View Single Post
Old 05-09-2014, 12:39 PM
Prism99
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Sewnoma View Post
I actually have a theory that folks who use computers and software a lot have a harder time with EQ7 than someone who is more of a novice. It's not intuitively built like most software is and doesn't do what you might expect it to do, or at least not in the way you'd expect it to do it. I'm a programmer and I have found the learning curve to be pretty steep! There are still a lot of things I revert back to graph paper for because I can't figure it out in EQ7, BUT I love having the software and some day I'll really knuckle down and figure out how to do those things. There are a lot of tutorials for it that I haven't had any trouble following.
My experience and hope also! I was a software programmer and systems analyst in a previous life (and have a degree in MIS), but I do not find EQ at all intuitive. I have both EQ7 and Quilt Pro, and QP is definitely more intuitive for me to learn. Incidentally, I got Quilt Pro when it was on sale for 50% off from the Quilt Pro website (I think it was around Black Friday/Christmas). Cost was $50 at that time; much lower than EQ. From what I have heard, Quilt Pro is very comparable but does not do *all* of the fancy things that EQ7 can do (assuming you learn it to that level). For the average quilter, Quilt Pro is both less expensive and easier to learn. (I would consider myself an average/intermediate level quilter.)

EQ7 seems to have extremes. A few people take to it like a duck to water. I'd say more of us, though, throw up our hands in frustration. I too thought it would be easy to learn because of my programming background. I do think those who find it easy tend to be younger and are the type who find it easy to learn how to use smartphones without books or a teen on hand.

Last edited by Prism99; 05-09-2014 at 12:41 PM.