View Single Post
Old 05-10-2014, 09:07 AM
ckcowl
Power Poster

all ties are not created equal- their are silk ties (often used for quilting projects) their are wool, cotton, polyester...lots of different ties in different fibers of different quality. if you want to make a 'silk tie' quilt then, check the labels & pick out the ones that are silk. if it doesn't matter to you- and you just want to choose ties you like- that's fine too- just try to make sure they are all able to be laundered/cared for equally-- look them over- make sure there are no holes, or stains. cut the backs open (easy to do- sometimes just a few stitches) and remove the heavy interfacing inside. I generally launder my ties before using them- then I press a lightweight fusible interfacing to the inside for stability & to keep them from fraying. there are tie quilt books on the market- a 'Dresden plate' style is popular- sometimes people cut them into strips and make log cabin or pineapple block tie quilts...you can use the fabric in any way you choose (there is quite a bit of fabric in a tie- making it an excellent source of silk. ) browse the picture section here on the board to see some our members have made & google images have lots of silk tie quilts to browse too for inspiration.