Old 05-11-2014, 12:31 PM
ThayerRags

Default Thread Spools For Vintage Two-spool Machines

Happy Mother’s Day everyone. My wife spent part of hers sorting thread spools at the shop, which is probably not what most Moms do on their day, but she’s a real “trooper”. Anyway, to make a long story short, Coats and Clark changed their spools, thread color numbers, and their entire system back in 2008 when they came out with the Dual Duty XP. We were so well stocked up on DD+ thread spools that we opted to keep our vintage inventory and supplement it with the new spool types and numbers as we needed for some colors.

But now that the old inventory has sold down and we’ve replaced about 69 colors with the new XP spools, it was time to revamp the thread fixtures. We pulled a couple of hundred DD+ spools off of our fixture, and are saving them in boxes. We’ll now have to stock some additional XP colors to refill our fixture and provide the color shades needed.

I have a National Two-Spool machine head, but the canister is missing. I need help from someone that uses one and knows about the canister spools. Do the old Coats Dual Duty+ spools all fit the canisters? The shiny gold plastic ones (35 cents)? The white plastic ones (50-95 cents?). And do the new Coats 900 (smallest size now) spools fit into the vintage machines? Does it take the old small wooden spools to fit?

CD in Oklahoma
Attached Thumbnails imag0086.jpg