View Single Post
Old 05-13-2014, 04:23 AM
mygrommi

Default Help with Shapeleigh Treadle

I am a new member. I just acquired a very old Shapeleigh treadle machine in poor condition. I have never seen a tension assembly like this and believe the set spring is broken on the end. The set spring is mounted on a screw inside the machine directly behind the tension assembly which is on the front of the machine. There is an opening between the body of the machine and the faceplate where the set spring protrudes out and somehow is supposed to connect to the tension assembly on the front of the machine. The set spring is not mounted on the main tension screw on the front of the machine like on Singer machines.

Also, the spoked handwheel has a small screw that may be the stop motion screw, but it is not in the center of the handwheel, but is offset from the center. There is a small opening in the center of the handwheel, but this opening does not appear to be threaded to accept a screw. Just wondering what this center opening is for.

Does anyone have a Shapeleigh machine and/or manual they would be willing to photograph so I can better understand this machine? I can email photographs if anyone could answer my questions.

Although I am a new member, I have enjoyed reading this board and learning. Recently I was searching this board for Shapeleigh information and found that in 2011, someone posted asking about a Shapeleigh treadle and they tried unsuccessfully to post a photo. I printed the post and an answer from a member with some brief information about the Shapeleigh Hardware Co, but now I cannot find that post. I was hoping to go back and perhaps locate the person who owned the machine and who asked the question in 2011 to see if I could ask them about their machine.

Any help will be appreciated.

Thank you.

Renea