View Single Post
Old 12-22-2009, 02:44 PM
JoanneS

Originally Posted by kluedesigns
Originally Posted by KBunn
Klue do you only make for breast cancer awareness? My SIL passed away from cervical cancer last summer. I bought some lovely fabric in teals ....with the cancer awareness ribbons ect for cervical cancer awareness but I have been unable to bring myself to make the quilt. If this is something you would be interested in I would be happy to send it to you.
i'm so sorry to hear about your sister - i understand completely that you've haven't been able to make a quilt.

i kind of fell into the entire cancer quilt making thing. it started because i was going to support groups when my MIL and BIL both passed away.

the word kind of spread thru all the support groups that i was a quilter and people started to ask me to make quilts for them or their loved ones.

the most often requested is breast cancer but i have made some cervical quilts too.

99.99% of the time i don't charge people for the quilt - i think in the last 6 years i've been paid a small fee on 2 quilts.

i would be honored if you sent me the fabric but you might want to hold onto it for a little longer before you decide.

the best thing i ever did to heal from the loss of my family was making these quilts.

every day that i make the cancer quilts, the quilts for the battered woman's shelter, or the hospice care quilts - i feel like my loved ones live on - that i and the community still honor and value them.

so maybe one day you can make a quilt and donate it to the hospital to ease anothers suffering.

when i first started i cried often while making them but soon it passed and i was filled with nothing but loving memories.
I received a lap quilt and several pillows when I was being treated for breast cancer - all were wonderfully welcome, and I thought of them as warm hugs whenever I used them. The pillows are especially nice to hug with your arm to your missing breast initially after surgery - to put between it and the seat belt when you're in the car - and to put under the missing breast when you lie on your side in bed. Bless everyone who makes them - and I can understand how making them can help heal the pain of losing someone, Kelly.