Thread: 301A question
View Single Post
Old 05-16-2014, 01:34 PM
Ivey

Originally Posted by Macybaby View Post
Ivey, if yours does not work with the standard Singer cord (I used the one from my FW as that was handy) then I'd guess that someone messed up the wiring inside the machine - and then swapped ends on the power/foot cords to try to get it to work. With mine, the ends are not molded and can be taken apart and rewired. I'm sure that can be done, it's just moving around which wires connect to what pins in the machine.

While I have not yet encountered that on a sewing machine - I've seen it a lot with trailers - it's real fun when you rent a trailer and have the brakes lock up when you turn on your lights . . . btw - we knew our truck was wired correctly, and the time we rented the trailer before it worked fine. Upon inspection - we could see someone had cut the trailer wires and spliced them back together.
Oh my goodness, that could have been so scary!

Okay, so I decided that I should get the machine oiled before I attempted to see if it actually worked. I think it may have a plethora (that is my big word for the day LOL) of issues. When I took the cover off of the bottom I noticed that the metal plate protecting the wires was held on by what appeared to be superglue! The wires all looked okay. That aside I got the machine oiled, the grabbed my featherweight controller and power cord plugged it in, the good news is that does work, the bad news is the machine won't pick up the bobbin thread and gets caught in the bobbin assembly.

I think I may have to see if I can find a service manual and start taking it apart piece by piece. I suppose it could be a good learning experience.......