Old 05-16-2014, 03:33 PM
heartofwisdom

Default No Paper Hexagons - see update at post #18

I've tried several way to make hexagons. I do not care for the English Paper methods (gluing or basting). I also hate cutting and love my die cutter. So I came up with a No Paper Hexie method that works best for me. Here it is Step-by step.

[h=2][/h][h=2]Step 1: Cut Fabric into Hexagon Shapes[/h]I use a 1.25 Sizzix Big Shot die below, Accuquilt also has a hexagon die.

[h=2][/h][h=2]Step 2: Cut and Mark a Template[/h]Cut cardstock or cardboard with the same size die cutter. Mark 1/4 inch from each side.

[h=2][/h][h=2]Step 3: Hole Punch the Template[/h]Punch each place where the 1/4 inch lines intersect. I used a 1/8 hole punch.

[h=2][/h][h=2]Step 4: Use the Template to Mark Fabric[/h]Line up the fabric and template. Mark the back of the fabric. If you are new to sewing 1/4 inch mark the lines, If you can eyeball it just mark the dots where intersections meet. Use a pencil or marker that will wash out.

[h=3][/h][h=2]Step 5: Stitch Hexes with a Running Stitch[/h]Take a stitch beginning at the intersection. Back stitch Take a running stitch to the other side. Back stitch.
The running stitch is faster and easier than a whip stitch and doesn't show threads on the front. Yu can also machine sew just remember to start and stop at the 1/4 inch mark (I usually machine piece but small hexes are almost as fast by hand because you need machine leaders and enders.)

[h=2]Helpful Hexies Tips[/h]This is my sewing basket. The entire top is a pin cushion. I carry all my hexes, scissors, etc. inside to take to waiting rooms or in the car sewing.

I can use the top to pin my hexes layout. It also holds my needle when I have to add pieces to the hexies.

I just love cutting fabric with a die cutter.

Last edited by heartofwisdom; 05-16-2014 at 03:37 PM.