View Single Post
Old 05-16-2014, 03:45 PM
mlmack

Originally Posted by MamaKitty View Post
I wanted a machine to play around with to see if I could restore one before tackling my super special to me Singer 15-88. Bid on a 128 in a bentwood case at shopgoodwill.com. The ad stated "repair/parts" so I figured if I got it inexpensively enough, I couldn't lose if I really botched it up. Mine was the only bid at $9.99 and with local tax and handling I paid a whopping $11.43. Figured if I could refurb her, I could sell her on Craig's List and recoup my investment. Got it home and it was in beautiful condition. Dusty and linty and the case was grundgy but I did a COA on the machine and refinished the case and now I'm not about to part with her LOL So I think maybe the "repair/parts" thing is a CYA on the part of shopgoodwill. If they said it works, someone would buy it and find the tension needs adjusting then try to return it. Maybe?
They likely don't do much more than plug it in and see if the light comes on. They might push on the foot controller if they are curious. I doubt if they ever run thread through them.