View Single Post
Old 05-18-2014, 11:30 AM
mygrommi

Default Converting Singer 99 to Handcrank

I just bought a portable Singer 99 electric (from 1956) but I don't have it in my possession yet. I want to convert it to a hand crank and I want to change its current solid handwheel to a spoked handwheel. (I know I can convert the machine because it has the motor boss necessary to convert to handcrank.)

I know that online I can purchase a reproduction spoked handwheel (copy of the Singer with 9 spokes) and a reproduction handcrack, but I prefer to have an original Singer spoked handwheel (with 9 spokes). (I have learned that Singer made two spoked handwheels, first the 9-spoked one and then later a 6-spoked one, but it is the 9-spoked wheel I want to use.)

I have found a seller with an original Singer spoked handwheel (9 spokes) taken from a Singer 128 (from 1921) and would like to buy it. Before I do, I want to be sure the reproduction handcrank will fit the original Singer 9-spoked handwheel.

The seller of the original Singer 9-spoked handwheel from the Singer 128 told me the original handwheel will fit my 1956 Singer 99. It's not that I don't trust the seller, I just want to confirm before I purchase.

Also, since I have never seen a reproduction handcrank in person, I don't know how it attaches to the spoked handwheel. I'm hoping since the reproduction handcrank is made to attach to the reproduction 9-spoked handwheel, the handcrank will also fit the original Singer handwheel that I want to purchase.

Can someone help me with answers to these two questions?

Thanks much.

Renea
mygrommi