Old 05-18-2014, 02:37 PM
KenmoreRulesAll

From what I understand, the 130 is considered 'semi-industrial' and is good for garment leather and heavy denim. It has 1.3 amps (then again, so do a couple of Whites I own) so it's got power but it's dissipated over a zig-zag mechanism; I would imagine the semi-industrial capacity comes from the gauges of the shaft, needle bar, etc. as well as using an appropriate needle. (Mine needs a new belt as you can see in the pic.) There is an attachment called the 'coffee grinder', an embroidery stitch assembly with an internal cam stack that mounts to the back of the machine and is operated with levers. I'm not sure if it works in tandem with the front zig-zag controls or overrides them when active but I've read it doesn't work well and sounds, well, like a coffee grinder. This was Pfaff's way of trying to keep the 130's sales up while they retooled. I've seen 130s for sale with this attachment and they're very expensive.

There's a video on YT comparing the 130 with the BU Mira and the guy in the video went through the pros and cons of each. The Mira won hands down. Both stitched beautifully, though. And his 130 is in excellent shape. He's a big Singer guy, though, especially the 201-2.

I've seen plain 130s in the Seattle area for as low as $60 (but that one needed serious work). I almost bought one in Bellingham for $85 but this one showed up on CL for $75 and in the original cabinet, too. No attachments and no manual, though. And I got to carry it down three flights of stairs by myself (machine in cabinet), out of their backyard, and load it into my car. The seller is a fireman and walked beside me, chatting away while I huffed and puffed.