View Single Post
Old 05-18-2014, 07:07 PM
maviskw

Originally Posted by citruscountyquilter View Post
I start with a 2.25" strip. The width of my walking foot is 3/8" so I use that as a guide rather than 1/4" seam. This means that I am stopping 3/8" at the corners to miter them.
So if a 2.25" strip will make a binding with 3/8" seam, a 2.5" strip and a 1/4" seam will make a binding with nothing in most of it. Some like a really padded binding, and the 1/4" seam will not make a full binding.

I always stretch my binding as I sew it on. Not really stretch, but lay it on taut and hold it there while I sew those few inches. My bindings do not get wavy. And no puckering either. (That will happen next time.LOL)

If you press a triangle into the beginning of EVERY binding strip, this will give you a line to sew on. No plus sign criss-crossing. Just match edges. Saves fabric. Then the end seam is done the same way. Cut off the last strip at the base of the first triangle and sew it together the same way you sewed all the other seams in the binding. No eye-balling, no stretching, no cutting off a little shorter. It should fit as you cut it.