View Single Post
Old 05-18-2014, 07:15 PM
Dina

Originally Posted by mea12 View Post
Dina, I just looked at one of the tutorials and think I may try it but I wondered if you have any tips on fabric selections...i saw your brown one and it had great balance and movement too. How many fabrics do you typically work with and do you choose always colors that blend well and flow together or could you get the same "ebb and flow" from high contrast darks (of different colors) with bands of neutrals mixed between? Is there a minimum # of fabrics to make this work and/or a maximum # beyond which it just doesn't work?
Well, I am no expert, but let me answer as best I can. Fabric selection is the hardest part, at least for me. If you buy any of the books, there will be a lot of information on fabric selection. I like mine to go from light to dark, and usually with two different colors. For each quilt I have made, I started with about ten extra fabrics and then auditioned them down. So far I have used 20 fabrics for 2 quilts, 12 fabrics for one, 16 for one, and 21 for the two I am making for twin beds.

How many fabrics you needs sort of depends on the design you want and the size you want. My favorite so far was Surf Song from Eileen Wright's book Twist and Turn Bargello quilts. The book has about ten patterns in it, I think.

I have used a pattern for three of the Bargellos I made, and I made 3 without patterns. Following a pattern is much easier. The main thing I learned about pattern selection though is to ALWAYS use an even number of fabrics. The last one I made has 21 fabrics, and that makes the ironing (ironing seams towards the even numbered strip) very challenging. I am making a mirror image of that quilt ....and it is the brown one....and I will never make one again with an odd number of fabrics.

You should google Bargello quilts and/or go to the Gallery part of the Pictures on this board and look at all of the different fabrics and colors. I think that about anything can be done....and do a search with just Bargello on this board too. You will see fantastic quilts. Bright colors with neutrals in between should work very well too. I particularly like to have a white next to my darkest. Just makes it look good.

I will attach a picture of my first Surf Song. I wanted blue and purple and spent ages selecting my colors. I am very satisfied with it.

Dina
Attached Thumbnails s8001611.jpg