View Single Post
Old 05-19-2014, 06:50 AM
ThayerRags

Default This Weekend’s Yardsaling Finds

I only saw one sewing machine item at yardsales this weekend, a Singer Touch & Sew in a nice cabinet with matching compartment stool, but I didn’t get it. It was a nice cabinet & stool, but I don’t have room for any more cabinets unless I want to pitch one out to make room for it. I’ve given away nicer ones because they don’t sell very well around here.

I did pick up a 3-footed twin-tank air compressor at a store-closing sale that works, although it doesn’t set up straight. I’ll try to make a replacement foot out of an old pair of flip-flops. It’s the type that requires large suction cup-like pads under it to keep it from vibrating all over the place. Maybe three of them will hold it if the 4th foot is a soft rubber pad.

I’ll use it to replace the small paint sprayer compressor that I’ve been using to refill my air tank for the small amount of compressed air that I use when cleaning sewing machines. I like keeping the pressure down to about 50 pounds instead of the 110+ pressure that compressors normally build, and the air tank has more capacity to last me longer.

Last weekend, I found a couple of coil springs that I may be able to use to fashion broken obsolete bobbin winder frame springs out of, and a wooden handle that I might be able to use when I cobble together a hand crank for my big Adler. I think maybe it’s off of an old cooking pot of some kind, but it’s round and has a round rod going through the center of it that’s threaded on the end, so it should rotate like a crank.

You find anything?

CD in Oklahoma