View Single Post
Old 05-19-2014, 11:50 PM
1000scraps

Originally Posted by w1613s View Post
Please, are there any particular colors to use in one of these blankets? Some to avoid? Things to twiddle that seem to be more successful than others? Twiddle things to avoid like, maybe, buttons? Or, if you use them (like buttons), there are more secure ways to attach them? Maybe dental floss?

I made a very simple, but large-ish, one of these for my aunt: "furry fabric" with a denim fabric frame that had very small plastic nubs on it. She petted it constantly. The nubby denim frame was great until her daughter-in-law ironed it. No more nubs. They melted! Mental note to self: plastic nubs on cotton fabrics, when ironed at high heat, melt. So soon old, ....

Thanks for the help. i am going to mention this thread at our guild meeting.

Pat
I heard that any kind of black colored fabric are not so good, some say that too many different colors will disturb some patients, but there is such a wide range of preferences and antipathy that you can't sew one blanket for all patients! Each will take that he or she likes! I once made a blanket with a cat panell and some other cat fabrics and one woman spontaneously said: I hate cats!!! She didn't say very much any longer so that this reaction was great!!
Buttons must be fastened very very tight, I use strong untearable yarn! It's the main thing to think of while sewing: sew it on with zig-zag two or three times forward and back again!!
And you can use all materials which are washable, even plastic stripes or silk or plush...
And you can make little bags with pieces of the wrapping of chips inside: there will be a sizzling noise when they touch the little bag! Or you can put some buttons or cherry stones into such little bags to feel what is inside!