View Single Post
Old 05-22-2014, 05:09 PM
PlanoDebbie

I've bought lots of fabric on our last two Alaskan cruises and keep the list of quilt shops on my phone!

Ketchikan - Silver Thimble:
This is a very small port and should be easy to find this building near the Lumberjack Show. The building is Salmon Landing. There are at least a dozen quilts on display from the 2nd floor landing where the quilt shop is. It's kind of small, but they do have lots of beautiful fabric.

Sitka - Abbys Reflection Quiltworks - 231 Lincoln St.
This quilt shop is located in downtown Sitka and is pretty big. There is free public wi-fi in Sitka so your hubby can sit out front and check email on his iPad while you shop. There are several nice shops in downtown Sitka. They also sell a locally designed fabric with pictures from Sitka. If you go here, be sure to check out Castle Hill nearby. That's where the first US flag was raised in Alaska.

Skagway - Changing Threads - 370 Third Street
Very small shop, but lots of nice fabrics. Here's a link to their website if you want to check out what they offer. http://www.changingthreads.com/ Skagway is a very small town that is easy to walk around and find this shop.

Kodiak - Flying Geese Fabric and Quilts - 202 Center St - Suite 320
Truth be told, I have several pieces of fabric from this store, but I've not been inside it yet. I wasn't feeling well the day we arrived in Kodiak and stayed on the ship. My wonderful hubby is a runner, and had asked if I'd be ok with him going for a run. Sure, no problem. Since we had been taking pictures of all of the "Welcome to ....." signs in each port, I asked if he would take my camera on his run and take a picture. He was happy to take the camera. Then I asked which direction he was going to run and told him there was a quilt shop there. You know you've got a keeper when he's willing to go on a run and take the camera for pictures and stop in a quilt shop and pick up a few yards of fabric before running back to the ship!

Juneau - Changing Tides - 175 S Franklin St - Suite 203
This shop is on the 2nd floor of a building at the far end of the downtown strip of shops. There is a Post office very close to them. Lots of beautiful fabric to choose from.

Anchorage - The Quilted Raven - 650 W 4th Ave
If you are only in the downtown area, this is a nice little shop. My hubby was in Anchorage a year ago on business and also two weeks ago. There is a really big Shop called The Quilt Tree. http://www.quiltree.com/ According to their website, they carry over 5,000 bolts of fabric. My hubby bought several pieces of fabric there last year and again earlier this month. :-) I told you he was a keeper! After 34 years I've almost got him completely trained.

I only buy fabrics that represent Alaskan skies, landscape, animals, etc. Here is one of my favorites that are designed by an Alaskan native. http://www.changingthreads.com/produ...oducts_id/2552

Changing Threads has a ton of beautiful fabrics on their website and will ship directly to you. Ketchikan, Skagway and Juneau all had post offices that were easy to get to. I took all of the fabrics I bought and shoved them as tight as I could into one of the large one price boxes at the post office to ship them home. That way I didn't have to worry about my suitcases being over-stuffed.