View Single Post
Old 05-23-2014, 09:38 AM
mommysewist

Originally Posted by RipStitcher View Post
Mommysewist...

I appreciate your input on all of this!

About ironing the PUL...

I guess the million dollar question is whether the stuff will crease with heat.... *IF*.... a person can use one of the silicone sheets to iron it.

When I use the laminate, I can still make a crease by using one of those silicone (at least that is what I think it's made of) ironing sheets (takes the place of a pressing cloth) to apply the heat so that the iron itself isn't hitting the laminate.

If it can't be creased, I wouldn't use it. JMO.

If you can seal needle holes with a dryer... how is this stuff through a regular clothes dryer?
Ok so PUL is an entirely synthetic fabric. It's a polyester knit with a polyurethane lamination on the back. My guess is, it just melts when you iron it :-(

I don't have a silicone pressing sheet or I'd try it for you. I have a ton of PUL scraps and I'd be more than happy to send you some if you inbox me your address or a po box. It's fun to play with :-)

I should have been more specific about sealing the needle holes. It's really easy. You just throw the project in your clothes dryer, on high heat, for 20 min. PUL is then machine washable, even hot water. But you shouldn't dry it again unless on low. I don't dry mine in the dryer, I just hang them on a clothes line.

It might not be the best for the bionic bag if you have to crease it but it does make nice makeup bags or maybe for wet swimsuits.

I was talking to my brother (another textile junkie) about laminating your bag. He mentioned a technique of painting the finished project with silicone caulking. Now the caulking has to be diluted first with a solvent. Apparently it a technique used by extreme hikers to make ultralight camping gear and bags? My brother is a survivalist and basically a mountain man. Anyway I've been trying to research the components to this process. This is all I've found so far but I haven't researched it a ton yet
http://m.instructables.com/id/Easy-w...nything-else-/
They're using mineral spirits as a solvent.
Anyway I hope any of this is helpful/interesting! I think I should have been an engineer, I LOVE problem solving! I also bought some laminating stuff to fiddle with when I make your bag so I'll let you know of I come up with anything decent. And let me know if you want some PUL scraps :-)