Thread: Your quilt
View Single Post
Old 12-23-2009, 08:06 AM
Tiffany

Originally Posted by elizajo
DH and I both have dust mite allergies that require all bedding to be washed weekly. I wash our bed quilt every week in cold water and mild soap and once a month in warm. Our old quilt lasted 25 years before replacing. The one I made several years ago has lots of red and navy, so it might need replacing much sooner.

I've tried other kinds of blankets, but DH likes quilts. I guess I'm more selfish than some of you-- the first quilt I made was for me!
I just took the allergy tests. Those are NOT fun!!!! There were only 4 things on the entire test I was not allergic too and dust mites gave me such a bad reaction the doc wants me to carry around an epi pen and to wash all bedding (including blankets and quilts) twice a week. Ouch! I'm thinking the fancy mariner's compass quilt I wanted to do for my bed will end up somewhere else, like on a wall so that I don't have to wash it as frequently. Allergies are hard on our quilts!

Originally Posted by roselady
I feel slightly different than most of you. In my opinion there are different "ways" of using a quilt. Isn't having it on your bed as a "bedspread" still using it? I do not have a quilt on my bed, because I have always made them for other people, but I really want to make one for myself now. My problem is that a few years ago, we bought a down comfortor, that is put in a duvet cover, to cover us, and I love the feel of it, it is heaven. It fills in all the crevices rather than making a tent over us, like a blanket or a quilt does. I don't want to give it up, but I do want to decorate my room with a quilt, that I would fold up at night.
I completely agree with you!