Old 05-27-2014, 01:55 AM
miriam
Power Poster

Originally Posted by purplefiend View Post
some of the mechanical machines I use are getting up there in years, some people think I'm nuts for not getting rid of them and buying the latest computer driven machines. I have one and it mostly only gets used for quilting....when its not being a pain.
Sharon
I don't think you are nuts at all Sharon - I think you are very smart - there will never be machines made again like those old machines - not ever. The metal in the old machines was good and made to sew and sew and sew. The new machines will never be as precise. The old machines can be bought for the cost of a sewing machine repair. If a person is careful to buy from someone who has refurbished not much would have to be done to the machine for a long time other than to clean and oil if one were to follow directions. Many times the most derelict of old black machines can be made serviceable if enough time is spent. That should tell you how well made they were. BUT I haven't seen a newer one made from plastic and stamped metal I could say the same for.

Last edited by QuiltnNan; 12-01-2014 at 04:19 AM. Reason: language in quote