Thread: 50 year old UFO
View Single Post
Old 05-27-2014, 05:10 AM
misoop

Default 50 year old UFO

I will try to get this story AND the pictures this time. Thanks for your patience.
When I was a bride of 19 my aunt gave me a quilt top for a wedding gift. It was made a dress scraps that my grandmother had on hand as she was an excellent seamstress and quilter. She also had to sew for others in order to make ends meet. This was the ugliest top I had ever seen. All the blocks were sewn together with no sashing ( no money for that extravagance) and the border was even more random scraps. At age 19 I had no idea what to do with it. So it went into the top shelf of my linen closet for 50 yrs. about 3 yrs ago I decided to either get rid of it or do something with it ( now that I'm a quilter). So I had my handy dandy seam ripper (my sweet hubby) to take the blocks apart from each other and to separate the border from the blocks, also. I decided the only thing I could do was to set the blocks together with white, and I couldn't even do that very well as the blocks were all different sizes by at least an inch or more. I took one width if the border and incorporated it into the backing. Well, as u can guess this is now on my bed, and is my favorite quilt as this was made with love, for me.
Attached Thumbnails second-try.jpg   side-shot-quilt.jpg   border-back-quilt.jpg