Old 05-28-2014, 05:10 AM
quiltmom04

Default How's the time to practice what I preach!

Every time some one asks how to handle making a quilt for someone with very specific preferences and ideas, and are perhaps NOT a quilter with any idea how fabrics will work together, specifically in choosing scale and value, I am ready to weigh in with an opinion on how to keep control of the situation. Now it's MY turn! I asked a friend of mine if her son and soon-to-be DIL would like a quilt, ( so I don't give them something they really don't think they'd use). Now it's turned into a potential shopping trip for fabrics. I'm thinking (trying to follow my own advise) that I will pull pictures of several styles of quilts (modern, scrappy, hunters star) and she can choose the style, but probably not the specific pattern. Then I'm thinking that if she wants to choose fabric, I will purchase 1/4 yards or fat quarters of what she likes and use them as a guide in making the quilt. I figure that way, I can pull together elements she likes, without the constraint of someone who may not be able to see what works together and whose specific input may produce a quilt that also doesn't work. (Then again, I may just be getting ahead of myself and anticipating problems that may not occur!) Any thoughts?