View Single Post
Old 12-23-2009, 02:58 PM
Tiffany

Originally Posted by laadw
Originally Posted by ghostrider
You can also finish with no binding at all in one of three methods that I know of: the envelope method (before quilting), the turned edge method (after quilting), or the escape hatch method (before quilting and usually used for small pieces). All can be done entirely by machine.
Can anyone give me an explanation of these methods. I tried to look them up but can't find anything good that explains it.
I have no idea what the escape hatch method is. I get a mental image of someone leaving their quilt at a friends (for her to finish up) and sneaking out the back door. :lol:

The envelope method is where you sew the pieces together, right sides together, leaving a 1-2 foot section undone. Then you turn them inside out, just like you would for a pillowcase, and once done sew the open section either by hand or with a running stitch or decorative stitch.

I'm not sure about the turned edge, but I'm assuming it means you whip stitch the front and back together, much like you would with English Paper Piecing.

Hope that helps. I'm sure someone will post and correct me. ;)