Thread: Very Old Quilts
View Single Post
Old 12-23-2009, 03:06 PM
Tiffany

Originally Posted by The Bag Lady
The quilt has been in my in-laws family and was found when they wee cleaning out their effects etc. It is not the prettiest quilt ---the colors are all browns and reds etc. I am going to have to look at it again. I am sure it must have been made for warmth and not beauty. This poses another question. Are the older quilts signed or marked? I can't find anything on the quilt.
Depending on how old it is, it could have been made by kerosene light. I was watching a program (probably Alex Anderson's Simply Quilts) and the lady was showing the most god-awful ugly quilt in browns & reds. The colors were absolutely atrocious! Then she turned out the lights and lit several kerosene lamps and the effect was amazing! This quilt went from hideous to stunningly gorgeous! I would have paid good money for this quilt! It had never occurred to me that the colors would change so much depending on our light source. It makes me wonder what light source was used to make the quilt you are talking about. Just something to think about.

My girlfriend had an old family quilt appraised. It wasn't anything special, but we were all shocked when the appraisal came back at almost $2000! :shock: You just never know. What is ugly or a utility quilt for us might end up being a special quilt that is valued much higher than we would expect.