Thread: #?
View Single Post
Old 05-29-2014, 05:47 AM
Sewnoma

I guess I'm a "young curmudgeon" then, because I don't like social media either and I'm still...well, not exactly "young" anymore I suppose, LOL. "Young-ish curmudgeon"?

I have a FB account but I only keep it so people can message me through it without having my actual email. I have it locked down as tightly as I can get it, privacy-wise. I get notified when people try to tag me on posts or "check me in" to places and I log in and remove all of those tags and refuse to allow them.

I really don't think a lot of social media stuff is safe. Your phone geo-tags pictures you upload now, unless you shut that off, so if you use something like Instagram people know where you are. People "check in" all over wherever they go and I think that's crazy...you're literally advertizing that nobody is home, go ahead and hang out the 'please rob me now' sign. I especially worry about younger people like my niece & nephew (9 & 13 years old) and try to educate them that sharing your life online is a BAD idea. Fortunately my sister is savvy and is making sure they stay smart & safe online. I'm so glad the internet was in its infancy when I was a teenager, I can only imagine how much embarrassing crap would be out there if I and my peers had had ready access!!

I do have a twitter account that I use to follow several people (mostly comedians, I like to laugh!) but I don't ever send out tweets. I work in IT so I feel somewhat obliged to keep abreast of modern pop technology culture but I strongly dislike and don't use about 99% of the "social media" technology out there.

And I REALLY don't understand the phenomenon of people taking pictures of their food and posting it. Not just fancy food or things they've made themselves (that I could understand somewhat); but all kinds of random boring food. I have a friend who does that and I asked her why and she didn't really have an answer either. It's just this "thing" that people started doing and now other people do it just because it's the thing to do. So weird.