View Single Post
Old 05-30-2014, 05:40 AM
Sewnoma

Using wash away tape to help finish binding!

You sort of do binding the traditional way, but when it comes time to join the two binding pieces together, you cut the angles first (leaving seam allowance), fold the seam allowance down on the one that'll be on top and stick a line of wash-away tape (I use Wonder tape) to the inside of the top piece's seam allowance to serve as basting. Then fold the binding down on the quilt and stick the top piece down to the other piece where it belongs, then you can flip it open away from the quilt and do a quick seam across the angled joint without anything moving on you. Then trim as needed, fold it back onto the quilt and finish as usual. Makes my binding finish up perfectly; no having to re-sew because it somehow got too tight or too loose because you place the seam while the binding is "on" the quilt. (I'm probably explaining this terribly...)

I learned this from a tutorial somewhere, when I first started quilting and disdained it because it seemed like a "cheat" and I wanted to learn how to quilt "correctly". Then saw it again recently in a class and decided I was being a snob and that cheats are good! LOL