View Single Post
Old 05-31-2014, 10:26 AM
Cedar

Originally Posted by Wanabee Quiltin View Post
Some people will gasp when they read this, but I read recently about using very thin straight pins in piecing and sewing right over them. I always did this for years with my old trusty White Rotary sewing machine and then with my Singers. I have a very expensive Bernina and I was told to never ever do this. But when I read about it, I decided to buy some very thin pins and try it. I am very careful and it works for me.
This is how I learned. Grandma explained that you have to go slow over each pin and use the thinnest pins possible. I only do this when matching seams and the pin is perpendicular to the fabric. She started the lesson by asking me what happens when you sew over pins and I told her you'd break your needle and she said that that could happen and that you needed to go slow not to. I've accidentally hit one pin so far (1 lap quilt, one full quilt top, one pincushion of tiny squares and 6 potholders) but I've broken more needles experimenting with different threads and making balls.