View Single Post
Old 05-31-2014, 10:43 AM
Tothill

I will be the first to say that watching Jenny's Videos brought me to quilting. If I have not seen them I would still strictly be a garment sewer.

And the very first quilt I made way back in the mid 80's was a Quilt in a Day pattern brought through Canadian Living Magazine. In that pattern Eleanor has you rip the fabric for the Around the World pattern. It was tied and although it took me more than a day it has held up for 30 years.

So my quilting experience went like this:

1985 - Eleanor Burns Quilt in a Day Around the World
2002 - a few rag quilts, flannel on one side, denim on the back
2013 - a quilt based on a Jenny demo video
2013 - a Jelly Roll bag based on a Jenny demo - This was my mother's Christmas present and she was thrilled to receive some useful. It is meant to be a beach bad.
2014 - a Jelly Roll race quilt, Pattern Review had a Jelly Roll Race online, this one is still a quilt top
2014 - My first pattern from a quilting magazine, this is still a wip and simple rectangles. This is for my mother's 80th birthday
2014 - my next project a red black and white quilt for my son who graduated this month, pattern will probably be https://www.byannie.com/media/images...s_patterns.pdf

So I am still a rank beginner, but without ladies like Eleanor and Jenny, I would not be quilting at all.

I can appreciate the work that goes into intricate accurate quilts, just as I can appreciate ballet. But I love lots of colour and quilts that make me smile more like modern dance. I guess I like the freedom of expression more than the accuracy of the work.