View Single Post
Old 03-15-2007, 12:20 PM
Carla P

Originally Posted by BarbC
Originally Posted by vicki reno
I like the pattern. what type of quilting do you do? An all over design like stippling or something with an actual pattern to it? The colors look good too :!:

I think an all over free motion pattern would be great for any of the Turn Twenty quilts. I haven't learned to do free motion yet... that is one of the goals for this year. So when I did mine last year, I quilted a straight line grid. The large squares of bunny fabric have the grid on the diagonal. Everything else has it straight. It took a bit of time to do it this way, but I am please with the outcome.

Barb C
I made one in blues & white for my Mother last year for Mother's Day. I "doubled the recipe" for a King size with lots of side drape. I added a 6" (finished) border all around using the focal fabric. (Yes, it is HUGE!!!) I free-motion quilted it (on my home machine) and she cried when she received it. I am not trying to brag, but merely point out that ANY quilt can be FMQ'd on a home machine... the bigger ones do take more patience. For a quilt this size, I turn my machine so it sitting just like a long-arm. This allows AMPLE space on each side of your machine for your quilt to rest. The big blocks of the Turning Twenty pattern (16" finished) are perfect for FMQ, especially for beginners. To quilt the center, I used a small 2 foot long dowel to roll the quilt edge, inside the throat space, onto. (This gives me a smaller roll than just using bike clips.) I am heading out of town for the weekend, but can send you some pics next week if you want. Just PM me with your email address. I have tendonitis in my wrists because of working on computers, so I will warn you (anyone) if FMQ is in your future and you have any joint issues, save yourself lots of pain & buy the quilting gloves. I LOVE FMQ and will be glad to provide any assistance I can. If you have any questions I may be able to answer, please feel free to ask. :-)