Old 06-01-2014, 09:38 AM
Cre8tvlwyr

Hi Angie!
Welcome aboard I have to say this thread is filled with some awesome 'Janiacs' and we are all at various stages - so there's no real effort required to "get on schedule" with us other than to have fun!!

You don't really need the software - although some do prefer it. I personally have both but use primarily the book. Just to re-iterate for some that have joined this group and 'missed it' in the last... Brenda Papadakis, who was given permission to draft patterns for the original Jane Stickle quilt and wrote the book [as well as 'Dear Hannah'] is also a mathematician. She drafted more than one version of a block in many cases. Sometimes the block that is 'drawn' and found next to the picture of the original does not match completely. Most of these times [not every time] if you have the software, Brenda has a pattern that more closely resembles the original available as one of the variations. Take A-1 for example - the original Jane version is a bit 'skewed' - the octagonal square is trying to be a circle Brenda's drawing and her other version on the software is not skewed and is pretty straightforward, squared off, and very easy for quick HST [half square triangle] piecing. The corners can be paper pieced easily. I have it scheduled in the third week, and it is considered 'intermediate.' If you skew the pattern, it's more of an advanced block! You have to decide what version works for you and make it 'yours.' Brenda put many many hours into giving us all wonderful options and starting us on our own Jane path.

I love paper piecing as well. Have learned on this site that kid's 'crayola pads' make the best paper that tears easily. I have also purchased newspaper weight paper by the ream. When you set your printer to 'draft' so that the ink isn't as heavy you can easily print on this a page at a time to get your patterns ready to go on ez- tear paper. I do find paper piecing frustrating when there are lots of pieces because I am anal about removing all those itty bitty pieces!
Therefore, when I can avoid it at all, I pseudo paper piece [the Cynthia England way in which you cut freezer paper exact, and sew at/off the edge of the paper so there's no paper to tear!] or I measure very carefully and forget the paper altogether.

50 blocks is great!!! I seem to be at a standstill.... gotta take my lead from Gladys [GV09] steady and absolutely beautiful!
Gus

Last edited by Cre8tvlwyr; 06-01-2014 at 09:40 AM.