View Single Post
Old 06-01-2014, 10:19 AM
Sisty88

Default Why do I keep doing this?

I've had a quilt top that needed a border adding to it for quite some time now, and decided that today was the day. I had already decided that I needed to do a black border and thought that I didn't have any black fabric. I suddenly remembered today that I did in fact have a whole bunch of black fabric that I bought to make another quilt that I've been putting off for a while...so I grabbed it out of the bag and began making my borders...about halfway through I suddenly realised that I hadn't prewashed the black fabric! I carried on because at that point I didn't really fancy ripping out the stitches, and if I washed the cut pieces they would unravel and be too small...
So now I have a lovely looking quilt top with lovely borders...but I'm scared to wash it! The centre of the quilt is really bright, and I really don't want to ruin it!
Is this something that I can get around by using colour catchers? Is there some way I can soak it in the bathtub without it ruining the rest of the quilt top?
As the title suggests, this is not the first time I've made this mistake! When will I learn?!?