Old 06-02-2014, 05:50 AM
Bubbie

I started doing needle work (embroidery and doll cloths), long before I used my first sewing machine. I was taught that the back (of the embroidery), MUST look as nice as the front. My hand sewing MUST look as nice on the inside as the out. Last year when my mom passed away, I couldn't sew (I couldn't think, etc...). But I wanted to be with my sewing stuff (as I worked cleaning out her house - you know giving things away, throwing things away and packing things away), I found that items with a stain, rip, hole and who know what (as my mom would say - "I would die before I would let you even think about putting this in the trash" Her idea was not it shape to be given away, you couldn't let the trash man see it. So she would burn it. - lol). So being unable to sew, I sat at night when I couldn't sleep and cut and cut and cut. I cut stains out, pulled seams apart, cut holes out, etc... Did this to shirts, house coats, etc..... And I have just started sewing lap quilts for each of her grand-kids. The t-shirts and towels turned into beds and blankets for the animal shelter (she loved animals and I donated most of her stuff to the animal shelter thrift store in Yuma), it helps fund shot clinics. But I still followed the you make everything look "NEW and STORE BOUGHT". She grew up very poor so homemade was the norm then and "Store Bought", was something special (not now, but at one time).