View Single Post
Old 06-02-2014, 10:45 AM
CorgiNole

Default My sewing room has been invaded...

What is it about 13 year old boys that they manage to fill space so effectively. I already share my space with the Wii - and for the most part, except for falling over him when I need to leave the room, that isn't a huge problem.

However, he has finally taken me up on learning to make his own quilt. When we ran by the LQS on Saturday he asked if he could make a Lacrosse quilt - based on his team's color. When I suggested we come back later with his pinnie, he pulled out a picture so that we could choose the best colors while we were already there...

The only frustration last night, for me, was that we were both at the same stage in our projects - cutting and pressing - so I got him started and then checked back on him a few times (while searching for rotary cutter blades).

First he starched and pressed his fabrics.

He then cut 16 white strips, 16 blue strips and 2 wide strips - with no serious v's - which amazes me for a first timer. On the other hand, some of the cuts look like he hacked them with a machete - so I've got to see how he is positioning his wrist - though those might have been with the dull blade. No bloodshed - which is always a good thing.

He followed up by pressing the creases back out of the strips (without burning himself - or without letting me know if he burnt himself). A few months ago he did all of the fabric prep for a boy scout project, so he has solid pressing skills.

He finished the evening by creating the first strip sets for his quilt.

At this point I evicted him as it was past his bedtime and I needed the cutting table back.

Hopefully by the end of the week I will be able to pick up his Featherweight from being serviced at the LQS. He is sewing on one of my Berninas this week. And I know he wants to quilt it on the Sweet Sixteen.

So - here is my hockey / lacrosse playing quilter in training.

Cheers, K
Attached Thumbnails img_0771.jpg   img_0775.jpg   img_0776.jpg