View Single Post
Old 06-02-2014, 11:28 AM
Terri D.

I understand your frustration. However, having spent 15 years in the printing and publishing field, I can tell you it is a ton of work to both write and illustrate clear, accurate directions. If a pattern designer were to include every single step in his/her pattern, the trade-off would be additional cost borne by the consumer to pay for the additional time spent to include those steps, plus the cost of additional paper and ink to produce the pattern and possibly additional postage/shipping costs if additional sheets of paper are required.

Also, as a former quilt shop employee, I heard many complaints about the prices being charged for patterns and I can say with utmost certainty that many of those same people would refuse to pay any more to have those steps included. I also understand that there are probably quilters out there who wouldn't mind it, which is to say that it would be difficult to please everybody, but even finding a middle ground might be difficult because we're all so different regarding our preferences.

Thankfully, we have quilting reference books to turn to for instruction on quilting, binding, etc.

Just another perspective....